President Trump is due to speak at the Conservative Political Action Conference or CPAC on Sunday February 28th in Orlando, FL. This will be Trump’s first public address since the end of his Presidency and subsequent acquittal in his second impeachment. Axios has reported that President Trump plans the speech to be a “Show of Force” to the GOP at CPAC that the President who enjoys overwhelming party support in recent polls, is still very much in charge of the party despite high level defections from establishment figures.
According to Axios,
“A longtime adviser called Trump’s speech a “show of force,” and said the message will be: “I may not have Twitter or the Oval Office, but I’m still in charge.” Payback is his chief obsession.”
President Trump’s Save America PAC has a stout war-chest of about $75 million going into the 2022 mid-term elections with a database of “tens of millions of names” and Axios’ source said “Much like 2016, we’re taking on Washington again.”
Axios suggested a few interesting points,
- “Trump advisers will meet with him at Mar-a-Lago this week to plan his next political moves, and to set up the machinery for kingmaking in the 2022 midterms.”
- “Trump is expected to stoke primary challenges for some of those who have crossed him, and shower money and endorsements on the Trumpiest candidates.”
- “State-level officials, fresh off censuring Trump critics, stand ready to back him up.”
- “His advisers argue that his power within the GOP runs deeper and broader than ever, and that no force can temper him.”
- “Trump effectively is the Republican Party,” Trump senior adviser Jason Miller told me. “The only chasm is between Beltway insiders and grassroots Republicans around the country. When you attack President Trump, you’re attacking the Republican grassroots.”
- “Trump is going to set up a formal process for vetting potential endorsees, including a requirement that they raise money and put together an organization.”
There are unconfirmed reports that President Trump will feign a run in 2024 as a power-move according to “top Trump allies” thus setting himself up as a king-maker in his winter-years. But this should be taken with a mountain of salt, as the President is well-known to pump-fake the press when it suits his needs.
Pence Will Not Join Trump At CPAC
Vice President Mike Pence has refused an invitation to speak at CPAC. Alongside President Trump, many members of his administration and others representing the ‘MAGA side’ of the Republican Party will be speaking, including former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Florida Gov. and rising GOP frontrunner Ron DeSantis, and the recently lionized South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem who has gained notice for her state’s moves to nullify actions of the Biden-Harris regime.
According to Newsmax,
“Marc Short, Pence’s former chief of staff, however, said Pence and Trump still speak and departed the White House “amicably.”
Just got of the phone w @Mike_Pence who couldn’t have been more gracious about his support of @CPAC Although he told @mercedesschlapp and I weeks ago he was unable to make it, he wanted us to know how imp this wkd is to instilling HOPE in the USA and he will back at it soon.
— Matt Schlapp (@mschlapp) February 22, 2021